Sunday, April 19, 2009

Carbon footprint

My carbon footprint

I measured my carbon footprint at http://footprint.wwf.org.uk/& it was 4.10.Most of the students had similar figures. The actual average for CRB was 3.778.

The main factors which contributed to my figure were classified as:

a) travel

b) stuff

c) home

My individual carbon footprint is the GHG (greenhouse gases) emissions that I personally am responsible for. However, companies, institutions, e.g. ADMC, and countries all have carbon footprints.

The UAE's carbon footprint per capita is the highest in the world.

What can I do to reduce my carbon footprint?

I don't spend a lot on consumer goods, or bathroom products.

Travel is the largest contributor to my carbon footprint but I'm not sure what I can do to make meaningful change. Admittedley, I drive a large petrol vehicle but I can't switch to the train here in Abu Dhabi because there aren't any. I could use the bus but I can't see that it would make much difference as my journey to work is only a few minutes. My car has been well serviced and I've had it for 12 years. I suspect it pollutes a lot less than most of the local buses I've seen, which also happen to be very dangerous in my experience.

With regard to air travel, I have to fly AD-UK-AD once a year, if I'm to carry on working here.

With regard to my home, in England I have loft insulation, double glazing etc, but here in Abu Dhabi, I live in a rented flat and can do little to improve my footprint domestically, apart from turning off appliances, which I already do.

With regard to food, my diet is extremely healthy and I can't see what I can do to improve it apart, presumably, according to the quiz, from becoming vegetarian or vegan. I play squash every day, usually eat only once daily during the week and so I don't over-consume food.

329 words

No comments:

Post a Comment